Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Preparations for a long MG trip.

I have completed the customary polishing and waxing with my random orbital buffer and a several-step sequence of fine scratch remover, polish, wax, and detail spray. Sapphire is "real shiny!"




I don't take 2,000 mile road trips for granted even with modern cars, so for this journey with my 40 year old car I started in early May with sorting out all the critical systems and getting them squared away, a benefit of my recent retirement. Here is a list of items I addressed:

- installed new convertible top with zip down rear window
(key move for hot weather trip)
- new bushings installed in both front and rear suspensions
- serviced the reservoir-type front shock absorbers
- radiator reworked with higher cooling-capacity core
- flushed entire cooling system
- replaced brake fluid and inspected then adjusted brakes
- installed rebuilt carbs rebuilt by renowned master Jimmy Hilton
- serviced my oil-type K&N air filters
- installed what I hope is a set of sturdy windshield wipers
- replaced broken speedometer drive gear in overdrive gearbox
- had speedometer refurbished & calibrated by Palo Alto Speedometer
- adjusted valves
- oil and filter change
- rotated and balanced tires
- cleaned and polished the chrome wire wheels
- cleaned out the drain of the fresh air cowl vent

The early model MGBs were equipped with two 6 volt batteries installed in battery bays below the deck that is behind the seats. Later models like mine came with one 12 volt battery, but despite this, the cars were still built with two battery bays. One sits empty. I put a plastic liner similar to a small waste basket in the empty bay and stocked it with spare parts. Though the bay is not large, removing the larger parts from their cartons and wrapping them in a single protective layer of bubble-wrap allowed me to fit in all of this:

- electronic ignition module
- matching ignition coil
- ignition switch parts
- fuel filter
- fan belt
- braided oil pressure gauge oil line
- temperature sensing unit
- solid state fuel pump
- heater control valve (part of cooling system)
- spark plugs (already gapped)
- throttle cable
- replacement four way flasher unit
- instrument voltage regulator

In the corners of the trunk I also have packed a comprehensive tool kit and these spares:
- Lucus alternator
- water pump
- a package of assorted replacement bulbs
- a gallon of 50:50 radiator coolant pre-mix

And in a top secret location: two four-packs of Old Speckled Hen


3 comments:

  1. Dumb question, but does Sapphire have A/C?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have Fun...I am very envious of your trip.
    Brian Rohde

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for inviting me along!

    I am enthused at the aspect of being 'on the road again' with you all!

    I drove from Los Angeles, California to Atlanta, Georgia with my two children in tow. I never anticipated making that trip as the solo driver, but the experience was fantastic!

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete